The "Tunnel Borbonico", is an underground cavity of Naples that extends below the hill of Pizzofalcone, near the Royal Palace, the San Ferdinando district. By decree of 19 February 1853 Ferdinand II of Bourbon commissioned the architect Enrico Alvino a long underground tunnel that connected the Royal Palace Largo (today Piazza Plebiscito) in Victory Square, passing beneath the hill of Pizzofalcone. A first idea of creating a tunnel under the hill , that did not have concrete consequences, was elaborated by Antonio Niccolini around 1850. The work was part of the public works (infrastructure or not) that Ferdinand II had devised, but his real purpose was military: he had to be a quick escape route (to the sea) for the royal family in case of riots and a fast access to the palace for the soldiers quartered in the barracks Chiaia: the Victoria barracks and Riding barracks. Since 2005 the structure has returned to the attention of geologists which have inspected it, on behalf of the Commissioner of the Government for the Emergency Underground. In 2007, they were rediscovered additional environments and finally, after several works of excavation and safety of the structure, the site was opened to the public by the Cultural Association "Bourbon Underground" 29 October 2010. The environments inundated with several meters of debris of various kinds have returned to its original state, becoming a major tourist attraction, thanks to the work of diggers volunteers from all areas of the city and without any public contribution. The place has an effect lighting, among other interventions, there is above all the restoration and exhibition of vintage cars and motorcycles found on the site and more important discoveries, such as the monument dedicated to the Fascist Aurelio Padovani, found in March 2010 under piles of rubble. The Bourbon Gallery has two inputs:
- • Via Domenico Morelli, nearby Martyrs Square, in the parking Morelli
- • Vico del Grottone 4, via Gennaro Serra Traversa, near Piazza del Plebiscito, a few meters above the prefecture building. This access was built in the eighteenth century to allow pozzari to perform maintenance to the tanks of the ancient aqueduct, used to access the air-raid shelter during the war years and later filled with debris and rubble.